Saturday, December 27, 2008

Foods Potentially Poisonous to Pets

Even though they may not be dangerous to humans, there are numerous foods that are hazardous to pets. The following is a list of foods that may be dangerous to your pet:

Alcoholic Beverages: Any type of alcohol can be poisonous to your pet and aside from intoxication, can cause a coma or even death.

Apple Seeds: Can have varied effects on pets.

Apricot Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.

Cherry Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.

Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol: Can cause liver damage and even death.

Chocolate: Although pets should never have any type of chocolate, milk chocolate is not nearly as dangerous for animals as semi-sweet or unsweetened bakers chocolate. Chocolate poisoning can cause irregular heart rate and rhythm, restlessness, hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, panting, muscle tremors, abdominal pain, bloody urine, increased body temperature, seizures, coma and possibly even death.

Coffee: Can result in increased breathing and heart rate, restlessness and affects the central nervous system.

Grapes: Large amounts of grapes can be poisonous to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea,
lethargy, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and kidney damage.

Hops: May cause panting, elevated temperature, increased heart rate, seizures and possibly death.

Macadamia Nuts: Can cause vomiting, lethargy, hyperthermia, abdominal pain, stiff joints, lameness and tremors.

Moldy Foods: Can have varied effects on pets including vomiting and diarrhea.

Mushrooms: Different types of mushrooms can have varied effects on pets such as, depression, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, tearing, hallucinations, defecation, liver failure, seizures, drooling, urination, kidney failure, heart damage, hyperactivity and in some cases, death.

Mustard Seeds: Can have varied effects on pets.

Onions and Onion Powder: Can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Peach Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.

Potato Leaves and Stems: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.

Raisins: Large amounts of raisins can be poisonous to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and kidney damage.

Rhubarb Leaves: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.

Salt: In large quantities can cause electrolyte imbalances.

Tea: Can have varied effects in pets.

Tomato Leaves and Stems: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.

Walnuts: Can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea, as well as respiratory issues such as sneezing, breathing and coughing.

Yeast Dough: Can be dangerous as it will expand and result in gas, pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Source: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

Be aware. Be informed. Be prepared.

Riverwalker

8 comments:

HermitJim said...

Hey RW...thanks for the info. I didn't realise all those things were not good for pets, but gotta learn something new everyday.

Luckily for us, God gave our animals enough common sense to avoid most foods that are bad for them. Too bad we pet owners don't follow the example of our pets, huh?

riverwalker said...

To: HermitJim

Most table scraps belong in the compost bin. At least most pets have enough sense not to eat something that's bad for them. They do have a tendency to trust the hand that feeds them, even if it is the wrong thing.

Thanks.

RW

Joseph said...

Thanks, RW. I had posted a request for a list of dangerous foods for pets in comments to a post somewhere, but can't recall where. Anyways, thanks for the info!!

Word Verification: Nettin
What you can do with a net to fish, or what is in my bank account after Christmas

riverwalker said...

To: Joseph

Joseph said...
My dog will eat almost anything. But I always keep some extra dog food on hand.

Is there a list of foods that are poison for dogs?

http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/2008/12/common-food-storage-mistakes-providing.html

I had you in mind when I posted this info. Hope it helps.Thanks.

RW

Joseph said...

RW...it's what I was looking for. The dog loves people food, and I don't want her to get sick. And since she can't really communicate to me much beyond "I don't feel good", it's up to me to know what I can on her behalf.
I know she's only a dog. But I trust her more than some people I have met!!

riverwalker said...

To: Joseph

Certain people foods, as long as they are not highly seasoned, can be safe for your pets to eat but it is not a good practice to have them become dependent upon leftovers. If you have trouble with them eating their dog food, you can try a different type (canned instead of dry or vice versa) or add a little gravy or sauce to their dry food to get them used to eating their own food.
Thanks.

RW

Wretha said...

Don't forget about onions, raw or cooked, powdered or in any form, these are very toxic, it causes their red blood cells to stop carrying oxygen, that's a bad thing indeed!

Our dog eats what we eat, I stopped feeding her "dog food" many years ago, we eat a healthy well balanced diet and so does our dog. I figured in a post SHTF world, dog food might not be available, plus it's not always all that good for our dogs, it's full of crap and fillers, feathers, beaks, floor sweepings...

We love onions so I have to always be vigilant about what I add onions to so that she doesn't accidentally get some. I always make sure to have a back up source of food for her if we are eating something with onions.

Wretha

riverwalker said...

To: Wretha

Thanks for pointing out the dangers of onions. I figured I'd miss something. Thanks for the good info!

RW